Attendance Procedures and Policies
Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
FCPS Regulation 2234 states that “regular attendance is necessary for maximum school achievement. In addition, punctuality and dependability in meeting assigned responsibilities are personal behavior habits valued in our society. To help students develop desirable behavior patterns, as well as maximize their classroom learning, Fairfax County Public Schools requires that students be punctual and regular in school class attendance. When attendance problems develop, the school system’s resources are made available to aid in solutions to these problems.” It is the responsibility of a parent or guardian to excuse absences within three days.
- Illness of the student
- Death in the family
- Medical or dental appointment
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Assistant Principal authorization
Unexcused Absences Reasons
- Family and/or student vacations not pre-arranged
- Child care situations
- Non-school-related activities
- Missing the school bus/traffic or weather issues
- Other reasons unacceptable to the Principal
Extra-Curricular Activity Eligibility
- Students must be in school the entire day to be eligible to participate in any student activity scheduled on that day. Exceptions to this standard may be made with the prior approval of the principal or her/his designee.
Email us at LewisHigh.Attendance@fcps.edu.